Let's face it, as a small business owner there are some luxuries that you just can't
afford. However, there are some things you can't afford not to do right. A well-designed
network goes far beyond something that just "works". In our experience, most small
business networks lack even the most basic of security and backup measures that
could compromise your entire organization.
The Network Design Checklist
If you answer "no" or "I don't know" to any of these questions, your network
- Do you have a disaster recovery plan in place?
- What is your desktop anti-virus software? How often is it updated?
- Are your machines updated with security patches on a regular basis?
- Do your users have full administrative access to their computers?
- Who manages your network?
- What is your perimeter firewall?
- Who manages your firewall and are there holes that need to be plugged?
- Do you run both on and off-site backups?
- Who has access to sensitive digital information like employee records, legal documents,
intellectual property, and accounting and payroll information?
Remember, preventative measures are far less costly than trying to recover from
a major disaster. If you think you can't afford to design your network, backup,
and recovery solutions properly, think about what it would cost if you had a failure
in your server's hard drive (or maybe even your desktop's if you don't already have
a server) and the data is irrecoverable? What about a virus that sweeps through
all of the desktops on your network and renders them unusable?